Established in February 2017, RMB is the Government of Rwanda body responsible for implementing and advising the government on issues related national policies, laws and strategies related to mines, petroleum and gas. It is also mandated to monitor and coordinate the implementation of strategies related to mines, petroleum and gas. In addition to monitoring, it is supposed to carryout research & exploration in geology, mining and petroleum and do disseminate the findings. Further, the RMB is supposed to supervise and monitor private or public entities conducting mining, trade and value addition of mineral operations. It is to assist the government in valuing mining and quarry concessions. Lastly, RMB is to cooperate and collaborate with other regional and international institutions carrying out similar mission.
Hon. Francis GATARE ,Chief Executive Officer, RMB
The Board has the following main mission:
- To implement national policies, laws and strategies related to mines, petroleum and gas;
- To advise the Government on issues related to mines, petroleum and gas;
- To monitor and coordinate the implementation of strategies related tomines, petroleum and gas;
- To conduct research in geology, mining, petroleum and gas and disseminate research findings;
- To carry out mineral, petroleum and gas resources exploration operations in the country
- To provide advice on the establishment of standards and regulations in Mining, Petroleum and Gas;
- To supervise and monitor public or private entities conducting mining, trade and value addition of minerals operations;
- To assist the Government in valuing mining and quarry concessions;
- To cooperate and collaborate with other regional and international institutions carrying out similar mission.
- Designing Policy and strategies, Issuing of Mining and Quarry licenses, laws and regulations elaboration and supervision.
- Promotion of mining sector at national and international levels,
- Enhance geological and mining knowledge of the country,
- Improve exploitation and investment conditions,
- Monitoring mining activities to comply with the law and increase value addition to Rwanda’s mines and quarries.
Widespread occurrences of industrial and precious metals with potential for battery metals and rare earth elements
Active foreign mining companies focused on exploration, development and value addition
23 potential target areas ready for investment
If you wish to know more about the latest Ministerial Orders and Regulations in place in Rwanda, you can access key reports on RMB website